1. Grab a few raisins and set them on the table. For a few minutes, observe the raisins and notice the color, the texture, the smell. Right now it is just an object. Food is only how we depict it- the raisins mean nothing to the flowers in your vase. If your mind drifts to savoring and eating the food, bring it back, you are only observing.
2. Start to move your hand to the table slowly (to keep my mind present I say moving, moving) and grab the raisin (touching, touching). Don't move anything else and focus all your attention on this action, not what work you have to do tonight.
3. Begin lifting your hand slowly (lifting, lifting) and before it reaches your mouth make sure you are completely aware of the moment (intending, intending). That you are intending to eat and fulfill your body.
4. Open your mouth (opening, opening) and place the raisins on your tongue (placing, placing) and then close your mouth (closing, closing).
5. But then wait! Don't start chewing unless you want to leave your hand in midair the entire time. Slowly lower your hand (lowering, lowering) and leave it still.
6. Now you may begin chewing. Notice again the texture, the way your senses react and you begin to taste the sweetness. Notice how this small object will nourish your being and provide you with energy. Once you finish chewing slowly swallow (swallowing, swallowing) and take a calming breath. 7. Now you may begin with another raisin, moving your hand to the table again, slowly grabbing it and lifting, opening the mouth, placing the raisins, setting the hand down, and being completely still for chewing and swallowing.
Overall this practice of eating, although it may seem tedious, has helped me in multiple ways. First, by eating slowly it allows me to enjoy each bite of food and has changed my relationship with food from something I desire, to a need that should be considerately fulfilled. It has undone any tendency to over-eat as my hunger signals are alerted over a longer span of time, but with less food. At the end of the meal, my stomach feels light versus heavy and weighted. So try it! It's an easy meditation and you learn a lot about your state of mind and body by performing it. Let me know how it goes.