-6 ripe purple eggplants
-1/2 cup EVOO
-5 medium sweet onions, sliced
-4 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, diced
-1/2 cup of water
-2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 cup fresh parsley, 2 tsp allspice
-5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
-sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
2. Remove the stems of the eggplants and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices.
3. In a large skillet, add some olive oil over medium heat and fry gently on both sides (5-8 minutes). If needed, you may add more oil.
4. Remove the eggplant from the skillet and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Add the remainder of the olive oil to the same skillet. Sautée the onions and garlic in it until they are slightly golden and soft.
6. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 a cup of water to the skillet.
7. Add all your spices and more salt and pepper.
8. Simmer covered, for about 15 minutes.
9. After 15 minutes, remove "tomato" sauce from skillet and pour over the eggplant in the baking dish evenly. Bake them for about 30-35 minutes or until your fork can easily tear apart the eggplant meat (and make sure to stir the sauce over the eggplants at least once during the baking process).
These are one of my favorite dishes I have had here (it's my first time trying this here in Greece). I cannot wait to go home and cook it for my family. After you cook it, let me know how it goes :)! Have you ever tried imam before?